Why Study Abroad
- Earn academic credit toward degree plan including residency hours: students are going abroad more than once, and graduating on time, while taking courses that are not offered at Texas A&M University.
- Enhance your skillset for your resume and boost your starting salary: various studies show that students who have studied abroad find employment more regularly and earn higher salaries than their peers who stayed in the U.S. throughout college. (Source)
- Join other Aggies: Texas A&M is committed to increasing student participation in high impact, international experiences challenging each college to set its own goals for participation. Over 4,000 Texas A&M students each year participate on international experiences.
Steps to Study Abroad
- Define your objectives
- Program search
- Meet with your academic advisor
- Determine your financial aid needs
- Research and apply for scholarships
- Apply for your program
- Prepare to depart
- While Abroad
- Return home
Choosing a Program
With the thousands of programs available to students, choosing a program for you can be overwhelming. Below are some things to consider when choosing a program.
Questions to ask yourself
- Cost associated
- Location (where do you want to go?)
- When would you like to go abroad?
- What kind of living situation would you prefer?
- Other considerations
Things to remember during the process:
- Be flexible
- You don’t have to speak a foreign language
- It’s a process, getting started in plenty of time
- Have a backup program
- Be mindful of dates
Applying for a program
STEP 1: Find a Program
STEP 2: Apply
Once you have found the program you selected, click “Apply Now” on the program’s webpage. The system will ask if you are currently a registered user at Texas A&M University.
- Texas A&M University students: Answer “Yes” on the next page and you will be able to log in by using your NETID and password.
- If you are NOT currently enrolled at Texas A&M University, you may not be eligible to participate in the program, so please contact the Study Abroad Programs Office for assistance with your application process. Additionally, if you have difficulties logging into the system, please contact the Study Abroad Programs Office for assistance with your application process.
Note: If you are participating on a transfer credit study abroad program, then please visit the Transfer Credit Section for detailed instructions. Please remember you will need to register with our office and also apply with the provider operating your desired program.
Note: Students traveling abroad for a workshop, conference, research, intern or volunteer experience should follow the registration instructions here. There is no charge for this registration.
*To get further and more complete details, please visit the Study Abroad website.