- Department hours and access
- Your office hours
- Mailroom (LAAH 327)
- Students turning in papers/assigments
- Exams for Support Services
- Workroom window
- Workroom/copy room access (LAAH 348)
- Copy requests
- Office supplies
- Building security and keys
- Fax machine
- Telephones for faculty
- Telephones for graduate assistants
Office hours for administrative offices are 8:00 a.m. – noon, and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. However, one staff member or student worker is on duty in the main office (LAAH 348) between noon and 1:00 p.m. to answer the phone and provide assistance. Please feel free to come into the main office during the lunch hour if you need assistance.
Department administrators emphasize the importance of observing your announced office hours. Typically, when Faculty and Graduate Assistants do not observe office hours, the main office receives a number of unnecessary inquiries and calls about the missed office hours. If, for some reason, you are unable to observe office hours, please leave a note on your door, telling students when and how they may contact you. Also, please let the main office know so they can anticipate any inquiries.
For security reasons undergraduate students and graduate students not holding assistantships are not allowed in this room. Please do not tell students to drop off or pick up materials in your mailbox.
Please do not tell students to leave papers in your mailbox. For security reasons, we do not allow students in the Mailroom, LAAH 327. Between the hours you spend in actual class time and your designated office hours, students should be able to turn their work in directly to you. Only in the case of emergency should a student turn in an assignment to the main office. In those cases, students should be told to have their name, their instructor’s name, the course number and the section number on the assignment and place it in the plastic bin at the front desk. Students should be told that main office personnel are not responsible for these assignments, i.e., staff members or student workers cannot enter the date or time or sign for any assignments. A staff member will check the bin at noon and 5:00 p.m. and take any assignments to the instructor’s mailbox in LAAH 327. Turning in assignments directly to the instructor is encouraged.
You will be notified by email after Support Services has contacted the main office and requested an exam for a student. Please email the exam to Support Services or bring a hard copy to the main office and we will contact Support Services to pick-up the exam. We will also notify you when the completed exam has been returned to the main office.
The work/copy room has a window into the hallway. The schedule for student workers is posted on this window and the blinds will be open while they are on duty. This window may be used for turning in copy requests or requesting supplies. If you need assistance when a student worker is not available, please go to the main office and request assistance from a staff member.
Access to the Main Office copy room (LAAH 348) is restricted to faculty and staff only. Graduate assistants are not authorized to enter the workroom or use the copiers there. Faculty members should direct graduate research assistants to follow the procedures in this document and to ask a staff member in the main office if they have any questions.
- Regular copy procedures: Class material and exams to be duplicated should be turned in with as much lead time as possible for our student workers to complete. Graduate assistants should only submit materials required for teaching (handouts and exams) for copying. Please complete and attach a “Copying Request Slip” to your originals and place in the “Copy Request” tray (next to the Staff Mailboxes) in the main office (LAAH 349). We ask Faculty to turn in copy requests rather than making copies yourself, especially while student workers are on duty (normally 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). After hours you may leave copy requests or other items for the staff in the mailbox labeled “STAFF” in Room 327.
- Copies needed on the same day: For copies you need the same day, submit your request, in person, to a student worker at the window. If a student worker is not on duty, give your request to a staff member in the main office.
- Online copy requests: You can submit your copy requests via English Central (http://www.english.tamu.edu/english-central). Use your Net ID and password to log on. Under “Service Request Forms” click on “Copy Request.” Fill in all the requested information, attach your document, and submit it. Please do not submit any exams or quizzes online.
- Copies of syllabi: Please do not wait until the last minute to turn in your syllabi copy requests. Copy work is extremely heavy around the start of each new semester, so we need you to turn in your requests early.
- Copies of exams and quizzes: Exams to be copied should be submitted in person. When the exam copies are ready, a note will be placed in your mailbox telling you they can be picked up from the Main office.
- Copies of class handouts: Material from books or handouts (other than syllabi) over eight (8) pages should be taken to a commercial copier (FedEx Office, Copy Corner, CopyMax, etc.) to be copied for students to purchase. If you do not want your students to have to purchase reading materials, take one or two copies to the Reserve Room at Evans Library so that students may check them out.
Office supplies are available at the workroom window when student workers are on duty (see their schedule posted on the window). Please be frugal as possible with supplies. Available Supplies include letterhead, envelopes, paper, pens, pencils, markers, paper clips, staples, grade books, and index cards. Please have students furnish file folders.
- Outgoing: Outgoing departmental mail must be placed in the bins in the main office for pick-up. Mail is generally picked up around 8:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. daily. As per university policy, do not send out personal mail from the department office.
- Incoming: Departmental, campus, and outside mail will be placed in your mailbox in LAAH 327.
- Packages: Will be delivered to the mail room and placed on the bottom shelf. A staff member will put a note in your box to let you know that you have a package.
- Staff mail boxes: Individual boxes are located in the main office (LAAH 349) for each staff member, the Department Head, and Associate Department Head. There is also a mailbox labeled “STAFF” in LAAH 327 where you may leave items for any staff member, outgoing mail, or copy requests after regular business hours. We check this mailbox each morning.
Faculty and graduate assistants are provided a key which opens the mailroom, break rooms, lounge, and hallway doors. These doors are locked daily at 5:00 p.m. Since keys are provided, please do not leave the mailroom unlocked or prop open doors afterhours or on weekends. If you lose your keys and need replacements, please see a staff member in the main office.
- The department’s official fax number is 979-862-2292.
- Outgoing: Please complete a fax cover sheet or post-it form and place in the tray on the counter in the main office. Faxes will be sent by staff members at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. If you need to have a fax sent immediately, please contact a staff member in the main office. The faxed document and cover sheet will be returned to your mailbox. You will be contacted by a staff member if the fax does not go through.
- Incoming: Faxes will be placed in your mailbox with the date and time received noted on the bottom right side of the first page.
- Incoming Calls: Give students your direct telephone number and ask that they call you at your office number. Please ask students to contact you during your office hours. Faculty should make use of email and update their online phone book entry to include office location, office hours, web page URL, etc.
- Telephone Directory: Faculty should receive a copy of the departmental telephone directory to keep at home, so you may call people at their direct numbers rather than having to go through our main number. The online campus directory is at: https://services.tamu.edu/directory-search/ and the English list is at: http://www.english.tamu.edu.
- Incoming Calls: The main office telephone number, 845-3452, can be given to your family or children’s schools for emergencies only. Please do not give this phone number to your doctor or dentist to remind you of appointments. Please ask your students to contact you by e-mail.