Both M.A. and Ph.D. students must demonstrate competency in a minimum of one foreign language.
Competency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- earning an A in both the introductory Old English class and the Beowulf seminar (offered as a 2-semester sequence every other year under the course number ENGL/LING 610: Topics in the History of the English Language),
- a B or beter in 12 hours of undergraduate language coursework completed no more than four years prior to entering the program,
- an A in a graduate reading course,
- an A on a translation exam,
- or an A in a 300-level (or above) undergraduate literature course taught in the language.