- American Literature and Culture
Dr. Oliver’s interests include Late 19th/Early 20th Century American Literature; African American Literature; Race and Ethnicity; and Ecocriticism..
- “’Stepping Across the Confines of Language and Race’: Brander Matthews, James Weldon Johnson, and Racial Cosmopolitanism,” in James Weldon Johnson’s Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man at 100: Reevaluations, ed. Noelle Morrissette. University of Georgia Press (in press).
- “W. E. B. Du Bois, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and ‘A Suggestion on the Negro Problem.’” American Literary Realism 48.1 (Fall 2015): 25-39.
- “‘Apocalyptic and Slow Violence’: The Environmental Vision of W. E. B. Du Bois’s Darkwater.” Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and the Environment 22.3 (Summer 2015): 466-84.
- “W. E. B. Du Bois and the Dismal Science: Economic Theory and Social Justice.” American Studies 53.2 (2014): 49-70.