- Creative Writing
- The Ancients
- 19th Century Russian Fiction
Honors and Awards:
• Artist-in-Residence at Milkwood Residency in Cesky Krumlov, the Czech Republic.
• Artist-in-Residence at the Fundaçion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain.
• Texas Writing Fellowship in Fiction awarded by the Texas Commission on the Arts and administered by the Austin Writers’ League: awarded twice.
• Program to Enhance Scholarly and Creative Activities from Texas A&M: awarded twice.
• Dobie-Paisano Award from the Texas Institute of Letters and the University of Texas.
• National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Creative Writing.
• Member, the Texas Institute of Letters
Hannah, James. Desperate Measures. 2015 (ebook reprint)
A collection of fictional short stories about real problems, real life in its entirety, powerfully told with great sympathy and penetrating vision.
Hannah, James. Sign Languages: Stories. 2015 (ebook reprint)
A collection of fictional short stories mainly set in East Texas. Hannah’s protagonists tend to be males, lonely due to some form of exile struggling to find some connection to others.
Hannah, James. The Great War Reader. 2000
The literature of World War I captures the mayhem and spectacle of its time, when an entire generation found itself in the mouth of a juggernaut. Facing chaos, some writers also developed a literature of hope, courage, devotion, and humanity. Whether despairing or hopeful, the writing on the Great War is powerfully evocative. The Great War Reader gives many nearly forgotten writers a new audience at a most appropriate time. Memoirists, short story writers, novelists, poets, playwrights, and historians speak here again of a time that witnessed the death of the pastoral tones of the nineteenth century and the birth of the modern world.
Hannah, James. Tobias Wolff: A Study of the Short Fiction. 1996
This work places Wolff in the modern realist tradtion as a writer who continues the tradition of such writers as Anton Chekhov and Ernest Hemingway. The author shows how Wolff used fiction to criticize Americans and their culture, and how his Catholicism infused his work. It offers the reader explanations of much of Wolff’s short fiction, interviews with Wolff, and book reviews concerning his two collections of short stories.
- New Growth: Contemporary Short Stories by Texas Writers
- Hard-Boiled: An Anthology of American Crime Stories
- The Best of Crazyhorse: Thirty Years of Poetry and Fiction
- New Growth 2: Contemporary Short Stories by Texas Writers