Admission to English Honors
English Honors is the perfect place for students who want to pursue advanced scholarship in a community of their undergraduate peers. The program seeks students who exhibit interests and qualities associated with our core components: scholarship, community, creativity, and service. Our process provides students with the freedom to tailor their learning experience to their interests while fostering advanced professional and scholarly study.
You are eligible for English Honors, if you have 1) scored at least 1250 on the SAT with a minimum of 570 on the Critical Reading section, or a 28 on the ACT with a minimum of 28 on the English and Reading sections; and 2) graduated in the top 25% of your high school class. Please be advised that if you meet the SAT/ACT requirements but you are home-schooled or your high school does not rank, you will still be eligible. See the following guidelines for application procedures:
- On ApplyTexas, when prompted, notify us that you would like to be considered for English Honors. Applications for ApplyTexas open on August 1st.
- The English Undergraduate Office will contact you by email confirming your notification of interest in our program. Attached to the email will be additional information about our program, including admission procedures.
- If you did not notify us through ApplyTexas but still want to be considered for English Honors, please notify the English Undergraduate Office PRIOR TO your New Student Conference.
Phone: (979) 845-8357
Current Freshman English Majors
Current freshmen English majors who were not admitted to English Honors in their first semester may still apply. You will begin the program in the fall semester of your sophomore year.
If you have a 3.5 overall GPA and 3.5 GPA in the major at the end of the fall semester of your freshman year, please refer to the following guidelines:
- Contact your English undergraduate advisor before February 1st of your first year at TAMU to review your academic standing and confirm your eligibility for English Honors.
*Note: If you are eligible, you will receive an application packet with instructions on how to apply from your advisor.
- Submit your application packet to the English Undergraduate Office by FEBRUARY 15.